The best way to get organized is to start with a vision…
Create a vision of what your life would look and feel like if you were more organized. How would you function? What purpose would each space have? How do you want to live within your space?
Answering these questions honestly will help you to develop your vision of your organized life and empower you to make good decisions about accomplishing your goal.
Define and decide your organizing goal or objective… what do you want to achieve or accomplish?
It’s often very effective to write it down and post it so you can visibly refer to it…
“My organizing goal is…
• to create space in my garage to park my car
• to de-clutter my closet so I can find my favorite outfit quicker and easier
• to clear the paper piles from my desk so I can get more done
How do you imagine yourself within this space (your vision)?
• Is it clear and un-cluttered?
• Are surfaces free of stuff?
• Does it look open and airy?
• Does it feel calm and peaceful?
• Are things put away?
Decide what activities will take place in the space?
What purpose or function should this room have?
If doing laundry and sorting clothes in the laundry room is the primary purpose of this space, then designate this room as such and avoid using it as a space that accumulates clutter.
If paying bills and reconciling your household budget is often done at your desk in your home office, de-clutter this space and designate specific zones to store and organize materials associated with this activity.
Defining and deciding your goal is important for long lasting results
Consider why you want to get organized?
It could be for Aesthetics… It could be for Function… But usually it’s a combination of both
What do you want to accomplish in the time you set aside for getting organized?
• I want to de-clutter my desk of piles of paper so I can be more productive!
• I want to de-clutter my kitchen counters so I can prepare meals easier
• I want to de-clutter my closet so I can find things faster
• I want to de-clutter the basement to create extra space for storage
Making good decisions that are in alignment with your vision will help you accomplish your goal faster with less stress and more success!
Share this with your friends on your favorite social media site!
Be sure to check back next month for another invaluable tip to help you live a lifestyle with less stress and more success!